Thursday 3 December 2009

Study Opportunities for the Post-living Learner

It is time for me to take an interest in James' homework. Last week's Parents' Evening had been humiliating even by my standards. Under pressure from James' form teacher (who is no fool, unfortunately for me) I had been forced to admit that I had no idea if James had started any of his project work yet. Mr Al Khali had suggested very politely that, in the interests of Health and Safety, James might need adult supervision. As there is no appeal against Health and Safety regulation, I went on a hunt for James.

I found him lying under his bed reading “This Was Your Life: biographies of 1,000 really interesting Dead People”.

"Have you started your project work yet?" I asked him.

"Mmmph," he answered. "I've picked a famous historical person to research."

He handed me the book. I looked at the open page.

"Francis Harry Compton Crick," I read. "1916 - 2004. Co-discoverer of the structure of the DNA molecule."

"He found the Secret of Life," replied James smugly.

"Men say a lot of daft things in the pub," I countered. I looked more closely at the pencil notes in the margin. I read a OuiJa for Windows user name. Oh dear.

"I hope you haven't been bothering Doctor Crick," I said sternly.

"He's really nice!" answered James defensively. "He's answered all my questions and told me a lot of things I didn't know. I think he gets a bit bored Over There."

"Well, show a bit of respect," I fretted. "Just because he's d... er, retired, it doesn't mean his time isn't valuable. He may be very busy." Doing what, I didn't know and didn't like to think about. I've never been very comfortable with the idea of death, and the fact that my son has provided me with compelling evidence of an Afterlife hasn't made me feel a lot better about it.

James nodded absent-mindedly. "Grandpa says hello!" he added as an afterthought.

My stomach lurched. I'd had an uncomfortable relationship with my father when he was alive. I wasn't sure how to handle post-mortem communications from him.

"H-how's he doing?" I managed finally. "Is he keeping busy?" I've heard the worst part of life after death is dealing with all the unaccustomed leisure time.

"He's taking a course in Philosophy," James answered.

"How?" I wondered.

"Distance Learning with the Open University," my son replied.

Blimey, the O.U. are getting really inclusive these days. I suppose even adacemics have to move with the times and embrace the Information Era.

"How's he paying for it?" I asked. As far as I knew, there was no provision in his will for post-mortem expenditure. Once you are buried, you tradionally stopped incurring expenses. That's why they cancel your credit cards when you die.

"Dunno," shruggged James. The world of finances, beyond saving up for his next Doctor Who figure or piece of modelling cheese, are still a mystery to James.

I shrugged back, and said "yeah, whatever!" for good measure (I like to think I can communicate with the young) and went to put the kettle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment