Monday 7 December 2009

James plans a picnic

As both the regular readers of my blog should already know, my daughter is a Hedgehog Rampant. The Hedgehogs Rampant are the youngest section of the Knights Hospitalier, an ancient order of warrior healers who in mediaeval times sliced up their enemies and bandaged up their allies. The uniform is a tunic of knitted chain mail and a shirt with a cross on it. Accessories include a wooden sword and a first aid kit.

Minnie's latest badge was for Helping an Elderly person. I am not very pleased about this one. To earn it Minnie spent two afternoons in Grandad's shed, making illegal and suicidally dangerous fireworks with him. Grandad always likes to slip a few fireworks in the Boys Brigade guy before it goes on the bonfire. He says the guy should be given the chance to fight back. I suppose the ability to make gunpowder is a skill that Minnie could find useful later in life. She certainly will have a headstart in chemistry lessons when she gets to Big School.

On Sunday morning I sewing her badge onto her Hedgehogs' Rampant uniform while listening to LingQ lessons. Suddenly the doorbell played a startling rendition of "Jake the Peg".

It turned out to be Kate, James' girlfriend. She had brought with her a bottle of ginger beer and an enormous bag of crisps. James appeared with a sandwich box.

"We're going on a picnic," James announced, blushing beneath his freckles.

"But I'm making you pizzas for lunch!" I wailed.

"Oh, we'll be back by then!" he reassured me.

I looked at Kate and noticed that she was dripping wet. I looked out of the window.

"In that rain?" I asked. "Are you mad? Let me rephrase that. Are YOU mad, Kate?" James and Kate shrugged in unison.

"We're taking Dodgson for a walk," James said, as though that was a good enough reason for a picnic in freezing rain. "I've got his lead and his coat!" He waved a brown dog lead and a little tartan coat at me.

"If that dodo catches a cold, YOU can nurse him!" I scolded. "And if Kate catches a cold, YOU can explain it to her parents."

James nodded absent-mindedly, wriggled his feet into his trainers and led Kate out of the back door. Later I realised he hadn't taken his jacket. If he catches cold, I shall make Minnie nurse him. That'll teach him a lesson, and maybe earn her another badge at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment